7 foot tal Monster Robot plans ADD

robothut

I know we have talked about those cool comic book adds before but I don't think we talked about the add that sells you plans to make a 7 foot tall walking robot.

http://monstermemories.blogspot.com/2008/10/7-foot-tall-monster-robot-ad.html

I am not sure about the story on the blog that some kid inside one of these robot costumes was killed by police but the add looks real. Do any of you know any one that has the plans? yea I know its just some cardboard boxes but thats not the point. It would be cool to see the plans that they sold you.

post-7-0-87331300-1329499070.jpg

I agree that it would be cool. I always wondered what ever happened to all of that stuff. You know a bunch of people ordered it. While browsing Amazon I ran across this book and tossed it in my wish list. It looks fun. I will get it on my next order.

JimK

post-769-0-36834200-1329512266.jpg

The article states...

"TRAGEDY ON WASHINGTON AVE"

The Greeneville Post, Oct. 20, 1974

A 12 year old boy is dead, shot to death by police, and the grieving parents can only wonder how this tragedy could have been averted.

On Sunday afternoon, as the autumn leaves blew down the street of this average suburb, what started out as a young boy's craft project ended up with a terrified neighborhood, stunned police, and a bereaved family mourning for a budding scientist cut down in his youth.

At 6:18 PM on the eve of the 19th, the Greeneville Police Department received a panicked call from Mrs. Crinklecut, the elderly retired schoolmarm beloved by the whole town. Her frantic report of a "monstrous, horrifying mechanical man" terrorizing her and her dog were at first met with disbelief by the dispatcher. But the patrol car sent to calm her down soon reported back a confirmation of the description.

With a request for backup, Lt. Spooner's radio call described a "hulking metal creature" on the rampage down the street. It stood seven feet tall, with "flashing, glowing eyes," with giant-sized arms that defied everything in its path. "It acts just like a creature from outer space" he radioed in, and as soon as the other cars arrived the police surrounded the mysterious being and demanded that it surrender.

Ignoring the commands crackling over the loudspeaker, the menacing metal monster slowly raised its left arm threateningly toward the armed authorities. The command to fire was given in response, and when the smoke cleared the thing lay on its side, blood leaking from holes left in the silver body by the policemen's bullets.

It was with shock and horror that they then discovered that inside the thing was the body of a boy. Identified by a neighborhood friend as Bobby Theakson, the saddened police realized that the "alien creature" had only been a suit made of spray-painted paneling wood and cheap scrap items available anywhere. The inventive young man had apparently tinkered it together in his garage, over the course of several weeks each day after school. He had been controlling it from the inside, via an ingenious series of levers. Plans for building the incredible machine were found in the garage, and were seized by the authorities to be turned over to the F.B.I. for investigation.

Wiping his eyes, Lt. Spooner bemoaned, "I'm sorry that this turned out so badly. When it raised its arm, we could only assume it was about to fire some kind of ray-beam that would turn us all into skeletons."

The tearful parents did not blame the brave police as the ambulance took away the body of the boy. "We never dreamed he was building such a dangerous weapon," sobbed his mother, Helen. "We thought it was a doghouse." "He was too smart for his own good," agreed the father, Bill Theakson, as he held his wife close. "Always reading those comic books. We knew it would get him into trouble one day." Motioning for Bobby's younger brother, he drew him near. "At least we still have Randy, who is on the PeeWee football team, which is more normal and safe."

The machine that caused the horror was burned by the neighbors on a curbside leaf pile, as they gathered that evening to console one another and try to purge the fear that for one brief fall afternoon gripped this quiet town. But few will be able to forget the nightmare that stalked the street with blinking, glowing eyes."

Oh geeze...seriously?! :huh: You honestly believe that grown-up cops would have been fooled...nay, terrified, by a kid in a robot costume made of junk lumber and spray painted silver? :blink: It's obviously an advertising ploy, I don't believe one word of it, it is way too hokey :rolleyes: .

I heard a similar story many years ago, except the ending was a little different.

Upon opening the bullet-riddled Robot Monster, police were shocked to discover a 7 foot tall alligator. An autopsy of the gator revealed the partially digested remains a young boy. DNA tests confirmed it was Bobby Theakson. The alligator had been living in the Greeneville sewer system prior to taking up residence inside the robot costume. It had been flushed down the toilet, when it got too big to be kept by Bobby's younger brother, Randy. But, here's the really ironic part. The baby alligator was obtained by Randy from an ad in the same comic book that Bobby ordered his robot building plans from!

You can't make this stuff up!

Well, O.K., maybe you can!!

Didn't find plans but this one vintage pic looks about what it would look like

In france they did a nice giant cardboard robot gag

Now you could build an awesom-o robot

& then you would attract certain cardboard robot fans like axe body spray ;)

post-18-0-21523800-1329656417.jpg

post-18-0-94495600-1329656456.jpg

post-18-0-09116300-1329656751.jpg

post-18-0-17830100-1329656762.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know we have talked about those cool comic book adds before but I don't think we talked about the add that sells you plans to make a 7 foot tall walking robot.

http://monstermemories.blogspot.com/2008/10/7-foot-tall-monster-robot-ad.html

I am not sure about the story on the blog that some kid inside one of these robot costumes was killed by police but the add looks real. Do any of you know any one that has the plans? yea I know its just some cardboard boxes but thats not the point. It would be cool to see the plans that they sold you.

I have been looking for this plans for 30 years. They measure 18" x 24" They were created by the J-mar company in 1970. I want them so bad. The book talked about here Mail order Mysteries is about my personal collection...Great book to get. I am on page 154....

When I was a kid, it seemed every other week I was at grocery stores looking for big boxes to build ANOTHER robot suit. My basement was full of cardboard box robots I could wear. My mom was not happy...LOL. Sooner or later they all ended up on the curb when I thought I outgrew them...until I started collecting robots again. I always planned on making that ultimate robot costume out of average household items...but never got to it.

My neighbor and I built a robot like this when we were kids.

We didn't use plans as we used the illustration in the comic ad as a guide.

The neighbors dad worked for Sears Appliances and we had access to every size box under the sun.

We painted it with a smelly enamel based "aluminum paint" used for painting those big propane tanks.

as a result, the thing was fairly weather proof, and actualy quite heavy.

We had a fun summer with it.

Box Robots rule and while I made several as a kid, I never got shot by the police :oops:

As I recall, no cardboard Robot costume was complete

without accordion arms. Here's one that I made in 2000

for my kids. My son wore it and later my daughter. Then

it became a prop for our porch on Halloween. No kid is

complete without wearing at least one cardboard Robot... :wacko:

post-6-0-65544300-1343354788.jpg

post-6-0-06765300-1343354819.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived