• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• robothut

• funkrobotik

• The Toyman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was re-listed for some reason, I saw it here on Alphadrome first,I had a bid and I won it, the seller was just giving US shipping details but he's posting it out to me here in Oz...the first thing I'll do is remove the cellophane and see what it looks like...I love the Robot figure!

Noel

post-648-0-24947400-1326205648.jpg525685588_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gang,

Brian recently started a post relating to the famous "Magic Robot" games and there were some fabulous unseen (by me at least) versions. This "Astro" version was shown as an Ebay listing but was sold. I had saved the link and for some strange reason it was re-listed :blink: I decided I'd have a go and won it for just $20.50!! It arrived ( along with a dead wasp )and needs restoring ( I removed the broken cellophane for an instant improvement ). The robot figure is amazing and the extra information discs were in the bottom of the box.

Noel

post-648-0-01295000-1328444823.jpg100125-1326(001).jpg

100125-1334(001).jpg

100125-1333.jpg

post-648-0-26322000-1328444844.jpg

post-648-0-69827900-1328444867.jpg

good price for a dead wasp :)

and the robot is far better looking than the original green ones,

or is it the antenna that makes him so cool? almost a hat :)

Nice set . Yet another one that I've also never seen.

Hey looking out at a white UK Noel. 😮 You don't know what your missing,,,,, like hell :lol: :lol:

Martijn, you're right his 'hat' is cool! and I'm amazed he arrived in one piece!

Ian, hi there! I was on the Daily Mail website this morning...BRRRRR!!!!!

it's around 30dg at the moment down here...sorry about that :lol:

Noel

So is the split in the base / leg section the way its made or is that broken? Also since this is the first one thast I have seen with two seperate nesting areas. Normaly the Answer side is a smooth mirror type surface so the magnet can make the robot base spin around, this one looks to have a dished in nest even for the answer side. so does the robot rotate in the nest area or in its base? Very cool. glad you wone it and can post pictures and answer our magic robot questions.

The Robot base is split, not cracked, but I can't see why :blink: . The red "Answer" base has a magnet underneath and the Robot spins freely in the dish, not on his own base. The instructions suggest a drop of oil now and then to help the Robot turn when he is slotted into the yellow "v" in the question dish, along with STRICT instructions NOT to turn him by his "magic wand" :D

I'll post a couple of photo's after I've cleaned it all up :)

Noel

Thanks John, that's incredible...1892!

It looks very much along the same lines as the present day variations, I've printed the details to put on file..

Noel

This patent is from 1940 and is for the version of the Magic robot game that we all know and love that has a figuar that rotates around to show the answer on one side and the you select the questions on the other side. So there may be a earlyer patent for the type of layout that we see most often but I have not found it yet. I keep hopeing to find the version for that early tin game that Joe posted about. But check this out 10 years before Merit made there's this guy in the USA had the patent. As you can see the patent is called Game Apparatus, so it was not easy to locate, I just kept using every possible search term I could think of.

US2263735.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

And still they keep coming! Here's a French language version, the Magic Computer Robot, but in a multilingual box. It's by Jumbo of the Netherlands. There's a mismatch between the robot on the box and the Archer robot in the game.

magic robot game.jpg

magic robot game.jpg