Magic Robot Game

Nikola Tesla

Hey, I just picked this thing up on eBay, even though I was a bit suspicious of the centerpiece.

Robot Ouija Board Game

For one thing, the Archer robot doesn't even remotely resemble the robot prominently displayed on the box and board. Then again, that base on the robot looks mass-produced. So, is this a DIY, or was the Archer design actually appropriated for this game?

😉

post-2-1098894402.jpg12_12_s.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• robothut

• funkrobotik

• The Toyman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nikola-

That is the correct piece, same as mine. I would post a picture but with my foot in a cast at the moment it's a hassle to dig out.

I've got one in English that I bought in Bath, England about ten years ago. I've seen it since too. It's a pretty clever game system, as well as a neat robot.

I have 5 different versions so far in my collection, you can see some of them on pages 21 and 22 of the robothut. There should be a brass wire pointer in the robots hand for better pointing.

Hang on though gang. I thought this version came with a grey robot very much like the one on the box but darker.

The green robot is from the UK Merit version or are there variations ?

The English Merit version is the one I have, says right on the box "4th edition". It has the same green robot as yours Nikola. I don't know what the dutch version is supposed to look like. How about a pic of the box art for yours?

post-2-1098909803.jpgClipboard_MAGIC_ROBOT.jpg

Well, I don't know how to date it---but, based on the box art, I'm guessing 1960s. Definitely looks like the older artwork and lettering. And the robot depicted is a far, far cry from the Archer-style.

😉

post-2-1098912468.jpg60_12_s.jpg

It is dated +/- '57. Jumbo are the inventors. As they sold it abroad the robot changed. there is a red metallic version, a golden and a green one. The original Dutch robot is the rarest worldwide, but not here!

Any toy show in the Netherlands will yield a few of these. I even once converted the question pages of one with questions concerning our family to give to my daughter.

I had to learn English, so try your hand at Dutch. (Or double D.)

• 3 years later...

Check out this ebay item number, 380014927938 and who does this school master remind you of.

Not the right colour but as near as damn it to the robot.

Not seen this particular mode before.

OK so the number search does not work for some reason so here's the pic

post-13-1207776500.jpgmr.jpg

Funk,,,,,,,For some unknown reason I cant get the big picture to come up on my search,but from what I could see he looked a bit like a small Dux astroman.Who did you think he looked like...BTW,,I've never seen the game in this format,,if I had more space for robot toys I would probably go after it,,Nice robot figure and it looks pretty rare to me??

Just what I thought Spark , a mini Astroman and very unusual.

Came off the Spanish ebay and for some reason the number search does'nt work.

I've thought about collecting all the different types of this game but as you say , space is the problem and it's no use just sticking them in a wardrobe.

• 3 years later...

Countelss versions of the Magic Robot game together in one thread.

Joe found the earliest one in the 1935 Edw. K. Tryon Company Toy Catalog. Does anyone have the original photo? It's gone AWOL!

EL SUPER ROBOT: A colorful version from Spain by Cefa, complete with a Dux style astronaut instead of the Archer Robot

post-13-1207776500.jpg

The English versions:

1 Merit, 1950s. An early version because later versions have "New Edition" or similar as the questions were brought up to date. Archer Robot

2 Merit, 1960s. Archer Robot. New artwork

3 Merit, 1980s. Archer Robot. Photo cover

4 Merit - also released for other languages. 1990s Archer Robot. Photo cover

The 1950s version has recently been reissued. (2011)

5s.jpg

merit60s.jpg

xmas039.jpg5s.jpg

merit60s.jpg

xmas039.jpg

mr.jpg

mr.jpg