1969 Zeroids Patent Drawings

robothut

post-7-1274974828.jpgpost-7-1274974864.jpgFeel free to post your pictures of the Zeroid robots to compleat this thread. Here are the patent drawings for what seems to be the Zeroid robot that were filed in 1969, patented in 1971 and the Time line says the robot was first sold in 1968. So it sounds like they sold Zeroids before they even applied for a patent. It is possible that there was a earlyer patent and that this was a latewr patent to cover new features of the toy.

post-7-1274974828.jpg

post-7-1274974864.jpg

John, I've always been confused about that timeline as I recall vividly getting my Zobor and Zintar both for Xmas 1968 while the info always seems to point to 1969 as a target date.

My original Zobor in '68 was received in the light cardboard box over the plastic case while Zintar was in his clear box with the card taped to the back.

Here's my Zobor with his accessories and hauling bucket which doubles as the back of his case. John, I actually bought this one from Liz at "Gasoline Alley" in May of 2000, (weren't they the ones who had your first life-size rubber-tire Robby on display???) They have a wonderfully amazing array of stuff.

Thanks for posting this great info there is never enough on these guys... these are amazing toys although they've always been very delicate...pressing the leg section to pop it out of the body to insert the batteries. Had lots of fun with these as a kid hurtling dangerous missiles across the room using the funnel. The Karate Chop Action is terrific too along with the magnet hand and reversing ramp. :D

(the cardboard box for Zobor I don't have. found this pic somewhere years ago.) :o

post-298-1274981500.jpeg

post-298-1274981509.jpeg

post-298-1274981899.jpeg

Hi robothut..love those pictures ...I sold my boxed zerak with solar cycle years ago for a decent return but as with all my sales..i regret them all..thanks again..hj.

Here is a picture of the most basic cardboard box that was used to sell these guys. Also there instruction sheet from that box.

post-7-1274994865.jpg

post-7-1274994892.jpg

post-7-1274994920.jpg

Call me stupid if ya want but I have a few questions about Zeroids. I do not recall them at all. Where they from a TV show or simply a line of robots? Just feeling a little out of the loop I guess. It seems like something I should know.

JimK

This is great John, thanks for postin them. I have the main three...Zyrak, Zobor and Zintar. They all work, as long as the motor works. I have to constantly clean them to get the carbon off the shaft where the contacts tough. Once I clean them, they work great. But it only takes a few weeks for more to build up. I wish there was a way to keep them clean. But I had Zyrak originally when I was a kid. These are some of the coolest plastic robots. I got them all from Ebay and they needed some refurbishing especially the treads. They aren't cheap, but between some headlights and replacement motor covers, they are up to par. They fit perfectly with that lunar lander Darryl gave me at Botstock. Thanks again for posting these.

post-125-1275002346.jpg

Thanks for the Patent info John...

Ken, that lunar lander looks awesome ! You asked me at Botstock

if Zeroids would fit in it. I knew you would find a great use for it.

That lander made a nice display piece at the two exhibits I did in

2005 and 2009. You now own a piece of local history... :rolleyes:

post-6-1275013343.jpg

post-6-1275013354.jpg

I used part of the original design drawing for one of the guys in the title picture of the "Toy Technical Drawings and Blueprints" article (2nd page) on the ToyMemories.com site... (I can't remember where I filed the original scan, though!), and I'm too tired at the moment to remember which guy this was... :lol: , but the pic is shown below... this was from before the Z's took over, and they were simply "robot #1", "robot #2", and "robot #3"...

(I have other design and part drawings in the archives, kind of buried... will try and post others if/when they show themselves)

post-526-1275023501.jpg

Archived