• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MacDaddyRico

• Roboto

• The Toyman

• Andyman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unusual label is post #12 Andyman's strato.

Yes, many labels were of this borderless style.

I prefer the ones with the bounderies myself, as they're a bit more decorative.

But to have a label at all after all these years, especially a complete label, is remarkable in and of itself. These are paper transfers after all, and countless numbers have disintigrated into oblivion.

However, many salesman's samples had no label at all. Those that did were left blank or had something to the effect of, "Your Institution's Name," as illustrated on this rare gold Destination Moon Bank:

post-1299-1272301375.jpg

Hi Macdaddy, I love the boxed chrome"Worlds fair" bank. Looking at your table at the fair I noticed two plastic Moon banks, I've pictured two that I have,and although they are English (and depict the Earth and not the Moon) they appear to be made by the same company? do you know who that would be?

Noel

post-648-1272363768.jpg

post-648-1272363991.jpg

Hi Macdaddy, I love the boxed chrome"Worlds fair" bank. Looking at your table at the fair I noticed two plastic Moon banks, I've pictured two that I have,and although they are English (and depict the Earth and not the Moon) they appear to be made by the same company? do you know who that would be?

Noel

Yes, I also have a few of the Earth-type banks as well as the Moon (I sold one at the Show shortly after that picture was taken,) but unfortunately cannot offer any help on the maker as I haven't a clue.

Regarding the boxed (Strato-type) Unisphere Bank; Though not available each and every time, I always try to obtain original boxes for every bank I aquire. I have the original box for the Destination Moon-type Unisphere Bank as well:

post-1299-1272372009.jpg

What an interesting collection. I love when people focus on specific areas and excel to the top of their game. It's a really great looking collection. Thanx for sharing!!

John

What an interesting collection. I love when people focus on specific areas and excel to the top of their game. It's a really great looking collection. Thanx for sharing!!

John

Yes, thank you very much!

I'm flattered but don't quite believe I'm at the top as you say. Not yet, anyway. It's one of those, "The more you discover, the more you discover there's more to discover" kinda things, ya know? But it's fun learning, and to me that's what it's all about.

I've yet to aquire a chrome silver Mercury or chrome silver Flying Saucer, for example.

I do have a green Mercury Bank, but cannot locate the picture at this time.

MacDaddy, welcome, welcome! You've fallen in with the right crowd here. Your banks are breathtaking! :o I've always loved those retro space banks. The Duro Flying Saucer Bank is one of my all time favorite pieces. :wub: I have been chasing them for years, but could never find one in good condition with the original dome and key. Someday, perhaps, someday...*sigh* :mellow:

MacDaddy, welcome, welcome! You've fallen in with the right crowd here. Your banks are breathtaking! :o I've always loved those retro space banks. The Duro Flying Saucer Bank is one of my all time favorite pieces. :wub: I have been chasing them for years, but could never find one in good condition with the original dome and key. Someday, perhaps, someday...*sigh* :mellow:

Yes; I became obsessed with these banks after I discovered them, not unlike that scenerio in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind where Richard Dreyfuss' character was making the Devil's Tower out of mashed potatoes and mud!

I'm on a mission to identify and collect as many model types as these three companies produced.

Other than the Flying Saucer, I love the commemorative Strato's.

But these Duro, Astro and Vacumet banks only whetted my appetite for other space-themed banks, as well as paraphernalia in general.

Samples of a few of my other vintage Space Race-era banks:

post-1299-1272502083.jpg

post-1299-1272502221.jpg

post-1299-1272502397.jpgChalkware___Iron_002.JPGShowtime__025.JPGShowtime__013.JPGChalkware___Iron_002.JPG100_0628.JPG100_0748.JPG100_0737.JPG100_0738.JPG

post-1299-1272502500.jpg

post-1299-1272502535.jpg

post-1299-1272502668.jpg

post-1299-1272502696.jpg

A super-rare Unisphere Bank made from chalkware, in near-mint condition with only a "few flea bites" and no cracks, chips or repairs:

post-1299-1272503437.jpgChalkware___Iron_003.JPG

I found this ceramic one in Liverpool UK, hand painted and made in Thailand...and the German tinplate bank came off Ebay, I think I have others too :lol: :blink:

Noel

post-648-1272512508.jpgsept_ebay_5435.jpgfamily_photos_3662.jpg

post-648-1272512522.jpg

The Toyman said:
I found this ceramic one in Liverpool UK, hand painted and made in Thailand...and the German tinplate bank came off Ebay, I think I have others too :lol: :blink:

Noel

Wow, the hand-painted bank should be a very rare specimen, no? It's awesome! That robot is so cute!

I like ceramics as well (see pictures) and try to buy undamaged specimens, but sometimes, due to the rarity, one might have to overlook a small chip or what-have-you.

I had to show the front of the Alien Saucer here, as I neglected to include it earlier. He's too cute.

I've a hand-painted metal tube (pictured here) which looks like it might be a one-of-a-kind piece of American folk art.

Your German bank has a magnificent fantasy scene!

post-1299-1272544451.jpg

100_0699.JPG100_0722.JPG100_0789.JPG

post-1299-1272544878.jpg

post-1299-1272545019.jpg

In addition to the space-themed banks and such, I began collecting decanters:

Crap! My computer crashed! I'll need to continue uploading decanters when I get my back-up computer back from the Geek Squad (I'm on my assistant's laptop presently.)

post-1299-1272545535.jpg100_0672.JPG