American Mettle

MacDaddyRico

Hello all; I've been collecting these intriguing mechanical toy banks for some time now, and would welcome any additional information anyone here may have regarding these American-made pot-metal coin banks.

In researching these banks I've run across many a fascinating website (such as this one) as well as found the son of one of the two men who left Duro Mold & Mfg. to start their own business, Astro Mfg. Most of the information gathered thus far can be read here.

These banks were produced to honor America's efforts in the Race For Space, even modifying three model types to commemorate Alan Shepard, John Glenn and The Spacemen.

Having been produced in the 1950's & 1960's in the Detroit area, I was pleasantly surprised to have discovered that all but one of the astronauts at the ASF's annual AA&MS, as well as the curator of the museum there at the Kennedy Space Center's Visitor's Complex, had never before seen these toy banks!

The coolest thing about this story is the fact that I am now a proud supplier of artifacts to the Museum Of Early Space Exploration! The final picture illustrates the remaining group of six plus a donated Kennedy Commemorative Bank.

The pictures illustrate my collection thus far, but I'm constantly adding to it so watch for new pictures if you've an interest. I'm extremely proud of my genuine Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronaut signature collection so far.

Again, I welcome all questions, comments and/or concerns.

Thanks!

post-1299-1272217315.jpg

post-1299-1272217970.jpgUpdate_Group_Shot_003.JPGAstronaut_Signed_Collection.jpgDestination_Moon_Varieties.jpgCape_Kennedy_John_Glenn_Commemoratives.jpgHistory_002.JPG

post-1299-1272218365.jpg

post-1299-1272218408.jpg

post-1299-1272221469.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MacDaddyRico

• Roboto

• The Toyman

• Andyman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look Fantastic. Welcome to Alphadrome. :)

Thank you very much.

And I've got to say I've never seen so much cool stuff as I see on this site and all available links to members' sites!

Thank you all for your efforts!

This particular model was actually sub-contracted to a manufacturer in New Jersey, RMS, and liscensed by United States Steel for the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair.

post-1299-1272235447.jpgUnisphere_Too_006.JPG

Hey, great to see you've made it to Alphadrome. Your banks are amazing... Welcome to the boards.

Thanks again.

Hey, my hometown! Upper West Side between Columbus & Amsterdam Ave. 90th. Street. Go Yankees!

Check out the Unisphere I added before I saw your greeting!

Hey MacDaddy! Good to see you joined. Your collection makes me want to take up the cause again.

BTW-thank you for your emails.

Hey MacDaddy! Good to see you joined. Your collection makes me want to take up the cause again.

BTW-thank you for your emails.

Hello again, Andyman!

Yes, I found this site to be extremely fascinating and decided to apply for membership.

Re: Emails; No problem! I always enjoy sharing information with like-minded folks!

Re: The Cause; We must never give up the cause!

May the force be with us all!

Hi Macdaddy! Beautiful, I love them, well done in finding so many in good condition I've only got a few of these banks but have you seen the plastic version I got hold of recently, I had a blue plastic version many years ago and regretted selling it but to have this red carded version more than makes up for it...nice to see your collection! :D

Noel

post-648-1272289263.jpg

post-648-1272289283.jpg

Hi Macdaddy! Beautiful, I love them, well done in finding so many in good condition I've only got a few of these banks but have you seen the plastic version I got hold of recently, I had a blue plastic version many years ago and regretted selling it but to have this red carded version more than makes up for it...nice to see your collection! :D

Noel

Cool! A plastic Mercury Bank!

Noel

Hello and thank you for your contribution. Fantastic collection!

Yes Noel, I've seen the plastic versions of the Mercury Bank.

The one you've pictured here however is the Strato Bank, though both rocketships are very similar in appearances.

The Mercury Bank:

post-1299-1272293686.jpg

Website_Inventory_002.JPGIn addition to the Destination Moon type model, RMS also produced a Strato type model for the 1964-1965 N.Y. World's Fair.

The rocketship on this model actually pivots slightly up and down, while on the Duro Strato Banks they don't.

post-1299-1272296739.jpg

Ah Wendy, my lovely assistant!

Welcome!

We had a stellar experience at the Show, didn't we?

Yes Sir, we did! I had the best time ever, being my first exposure to such an event. Great people and great event!

Unusual label on that strato.

Yes Sir, we did! I had the best time ever, being my first exposure to such an event. Great people and great event!

Unusual label on that strato.

Re: Unusual label; Which Strato are you refering to?

Yes! We experienced our first event of such magnitude together! It was awesome! I'm looking forward to this year's Show! I had a blast!

And "our babies" will be housed here:

post-1299-1272299189.jpg